Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Living on Borrowed ROM

I apologize for not getting my daily blog up recently.  As I indicated previously, my personal computer had a fatal system failure late Saturday as I was writing my blog, and I am currently writing on a GA-provided supply computer.  The tech folks at the assembly have had my computer for 36 hours and haven't even been able to look at it yet.  If they haven't done anything by the time my committee lets out tomorrow, I will take care of its repair myself.

Speaking of slow... everyone is still waiting for the GA tote bags to arrive.  One of the problems of scheduling the assembly over a national holiday is that local businesses are shut down for a three day weekend, so if you need something, you could be waiting a while.  At least one of the more common "giveaways" at the exhibit hall are reusable tote/grocery bags, so you see a lot of people carrying their materials in "Church Mutual" sacks.

Now to catch you up on Assembly business.  Sunday was a day of celebration.  The opening worship Sunday morning in the Assembly Hall brought over 5000 worshipers together for a pageant- and music-filled morning.  For the first time in known history, a baptism was performed at General Assembly, a child born to a family at Kwanzaa Presbyterian Church.  Some of the worship arts seemed a bit too over the top -- more to impress than inspire -- but on the whole it was a joyful, uplifting service. Outgoing moderator Bruce Reyes-Chow's sermon was more anecdotal than exegetical, but since he's been on the road for most of two years, what do you expect?  The afternoon included the introductory assembly committee meetings, which are typically held Sunday night.  The opportunity to hold the moderator's reception before the fireworks display in the evening caused the shift in schedule.  While I only spent a little time at the reception/barbecue/fireworks event (I was celebrating my daughter Bethany's birthday with family and friends), it seemed to be fun.  A gospel music concert (in the Memphis, rather than Nashville, tradition) fit the bill for entertainment.

The committees began their work in earnest today (Monday).  The tone of the debate at this assembly is civil, indeed almost subdued.  Bob Powell, our commissioner from Fort Collins First -- who sits on the ordination standards committee -- noted that the public testimony (which was concluded in only an hour and a half) was emotional, but respectful.  The only committee where hostility seemed to be the mood was, of course, Middle East Peacemaking (sad, isn't it?).

So far, the bellwether of the Moderator's election seems to be bearing out.  The business that has already been concluded seems to be tilting to the left.  But there is too little information to draw any hard and fast conclusions.  Our presbytery union church overture flew through committee.  The overture on the new Form of Government hasn't received a committee recommendation yet.

On my own committee, Middle Governing Bodies, the committee has taken one major action:  to recommend approval of a GA-level administrative commission to investigate and take action regarding the emerging crisis in presbyteries and synods.  The committee is recommending that the commission be limited in its actions only to those that are directed by the Assembly, or that are initiated by request of synods and presbyteries.  It is possible that further amendment may come from the Assembly floor to delineate and delimit the powers of the commission even further.

My assembly high point thus far was meeting up at the moderator's reception with a church couple from my field education church in Succasunna, New Jersey.  I hadn't seen them in twenty-seven years, but that just made the reunion all the more amazing.

My assembly low moment came tonight when I witnessed an inebriated Presbyterian Gen-Xer practice projectile vomiting in a hotel bar.  Fortunately I was able to move clear of the "splatter zone" just in time.  I wonder what the hotel staff thinks of Presbyterians now.  At least his friends helped him out.

Anyway, I will try to add more tomorrow, hopefully from my repaired laptop.  I'm not holding my breath, though.  Not for the tote bag either.

No comments:

Post a Comment